from Emile Henry, featuring Bread Loaf Baker
At the Bandon Mercantile, we love the classic profiles and superior cooking experience of Emile Henry bakeware. The Bread Loaf Baker is part of the Modern Classics collection. It is truly an American collection– as the shapes, capacities, and dimensions were developed with an eye toward American foods, style and recipes. All the shapes have been designed from the ground up for our American recipes while preserving the intangible design elements and the performance properties of Emile Henry.
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp honey
4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (divided in half)
1 tbsp (2 packets) dry yeast
1 cup water
2 tsp salt
1. Combine flours, honey, 2 tbsp sesame seeds, and yeast in a large bowl.
2. Add the water to hydrate and mix by hand until dough comes together.
3. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 7-10 minutes to develop the gluten structure.
4. Once the gluten has developed, place the ball of dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel.
5. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 450°F
7. Grease the Bread Loaf Baker and sprinkle the sides and bottom with flour.
8. Shape the dough to fit in the Bread Loaf.
9. Place inside of the Bread Loaf Baker, put the lid on and leave to rise for 40 minutes.
10. Brush the top of the dough with water and sprinkle remaining sesame seeds. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes.
11. Let cool for a few minutes in the Bread Loaf Baker before removing.
Recipe and photos from Emile Henry.